About 1866 Rounder's Club

In 1866, Charles Warren Clifford organized an athletic club to play a new version of baseball. That was the beginning of the Wamsutta Club. The Club soon evolved into a social club.

The newest edition to the Wamsutta Club is the exclusive, members-only 1866 Rounders’ Club. Located in the Charles Clifford Cellarette and Bar, members enjoy a vintage baseball atmosphere with signed & authenticated sports memorabilia all of which are available for purchase.

1866 Rounder's Club Members can enjoy a full menu and bar while watching their favorite sport on one of two flat screen televisions or relax in the Wamsutta Bull Pen which also features a large flat screen plasma T.V., Pool Table, Dartboard, Billiard Table, Card Tables, and Jukebox. There is ample seating to socialize, network or just have fun and relax, in a smoke free atmosphere.

For you smokers, we offer the Smoker's Dugout located outside the main cellarette entrance.


Wamsutta Baseball Club, ca. 1900


The Original Baseball

The Original Baseball

 

 

 

IN THE NEWS

South Coast Vintage Base Ball

Discovering baseball history on the southcoast of Massachusetts

Early Days of Baseball in New Bedford, ca. 1858

September 17, 2007
Baseball in New Bedford seems to have a longer past than once believed. According to a May 2006 Standard Times article, the Wamsutta Base Ball Club was the first baseball club in the city in 1866. The source of that information may have come from the obituary of Charles W. Clifford which appeared in the September 13, 1923 New Bedford Evening Standard: